Today’s Ask An SEO question comes from Nick, who asks:
“What period is most helpful for a content audit? My traffic changes based on Google Algorithm updates and there is likewise some seasonality. Should I utilize one year of efficiency data to influence my method or would it be much better to use smaller sized portions of data?”
Great question, Nick!
There is no right or incorrect answer for when to do a content audit, as each site is unique, however there are signals it is time to do a material review.
And an annual efficiency audit does not hurt either.
Something to be mindful of is changing things even if you got a short-term ding, a C-suite executive worries because of seasonality, or there are fluctuations throughout a search engine update.
Many times, when online search engine like Google update, they do a rollback, and great content and pages will come back.
Don’t depend on updates as an indication it’s time to audit your material solely.
Rather, utilize these:
- If traffic has plateaued and great pages that must be ranking are not. (After tech and structure problems have been solved)
- Content that was always in the top positions has slipped or begun to slip, and your material is equal to the pages replacing you.
- When the busy season is six to 7 months away, and you do not have your rankings.
- Annual assessments by category, and page.
When traffic plateaus, however you have actually been including content routinely for a while, it is a great idea to take an action back and take a look at the content you’re releasing.
If you’re not getting new traffic, do you currently have a page getting the exact same type of traffic from SEO?
If yes, change subjects and discover brand-new things that can generate your audience while staying pertinent to your core products, services, and offerings.
You do not wish to cannibalize the page or pages that are working. But do not just take a look at SEO traffic and keep blogging about the same topic– take a look at your user base and audience.
Have individuals on social networks stopped sharing and clicking through to your pages?
When this takes place, you’re most likely publishing topics that are not interesting to your user base, or you’ve overdone it on those subjects, and they’re tired of the same thing.
Take a look at other kinds of material that fulfill the needs of the exact same user base.
I.e., if your target is single dads with more youthful daughters and you offer books, think about other “single daddy issues.” It might be hairstyling, planning birthday parties, looking for clothes, presenting your daughter to your brand-new significant other, and so on.
Each of these topics will have matching books that can cross-sell your material and provide services for your audience’s requirements. And the subjects allow you to work with influencers in your specific niche and create cross-promotional marketing projects with complementary business.
This, in turn, builds exposure and can cause natural backlinks.
It’s a big win and can help get your traffic growing once again for a pertinent audience while feeding other channels and helping your business grow throughout the board.
You, as an SEO pro or copywriter, become the hero and can make a seat at the marketing planning table.
Pages And Categories That Are Slipping
If you notice pages or categories on your site are slipping, this is a good time to examine them.
But don’t just begin pulling, pruning, and rewriting. Initially, take a look at:
- What has replaced you in the search results?
- Which subjects do they cover that you do not? Think of how you can naturally integrate them into your own content if they are relevant.
- How many backlinks and internal links do they have if their page is getting “genuine” media coverage? Why are they getting it and you are not? When do they prioritize their material? Are they offering it a boost with additional signals through internal links (specifically from pages with quality backlinks)?
- Do you have correct schema and site structure, and are your pages filling rapidly and supplying options?
- Has anybody released comparable content within your website that could be competing? Use an SEO tool to group a keyword cluster, and after that look to see if numerous pages on your site are all appearing for these. If you have completing pages, you might wish to integrate some, delete some, or rewrite some of them to be more clear about the benefits to the visitor.
Around Six Months Out From Seasonal Traffic
When you have to do with 6 months from your busy season, check to see if you’re currently showing up for your essential terms.
If you’re not, do the same exercise as above, and begin looking at how you can improve your copy.
I start around eight months in advance, but that’s since I like to do more testing than is required– six months suffices time so you can get to material and code freeze three or four months prior to your hectic season starts.
Pro-tip: Do not split test organic traffic and pages.
This fails in lots of ways. Rather, develop a plan, test copy, and wording for conversions by means of PPC, and after that present the very best experience with time to see how it indexes and ranks.
It is constantly a great concept to do a yearly examination.
You likely know what your best-performing copy is, however possibly the classification of your website isn’t getting direct exposure. This is simple to discover in the majority of analytics bundles.
Sort by SEO traffic, then display by classification folder (collections if you remain in Shopify), and you’ll see how the categories are carrying out.
From there you can customize the site structure, develop internal links, and look for missing out on areas.
You can likewise more easily find if copy and H tags are working on classifications, and discover categories that got avoided over.
Another big find in this exercise is when posts that used to perform well fell, however others took their place. You can see this with a time comparison, and then redo the pages that fell if required.
When you find that traffic is stable due to the fact that one post took over as an acquisition from another, you now have a chance to double your traffic.
Deal with getting the pages that fell back and preserve the current one. Repairing older pages can in some cases be more efficient than producing brand-new ones, and it is simpler so you can save time.
There is no one size fits all for when to do a content SEO audit, however these are four great times to do one.
I hope this assists.
Featured Image: Andrey_Popov/ Best SMM Panel